Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fair Warning



As the semifinal game in Hartford tips off, it seems necessary that I share an anecdote about my day today:

I was working at the 24 Diner here in Austin, TX today, minding my own business, when my co-worker came into the kitchen and exclaimed, "Dude, Rick Barnes is here." Rick Barnes, of course, is the head coach of the Texas Longhorns basketball team. He was enjoying a Sunday brunch with his family -- no doubt they were coming straight from church (as if to prove this point, they were talking about God every time I walked by their table. Texas!)

I'm not one to be star struck, but the college hoops world is my Hollywood: I was sweating. Buckets. It didn't take me long to figure out what I was going to say to Mr. Barnes, and I quote:

"Coach, big win last night (at Baylor), but watch out if you get paired with my Vermont Catamounts in the tournament."

He chuckled. It wasn't funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment